For many enterprises, a mobile application represents a significant investment. Nonetheless, an app can sometimes not reach the objectives you had, without having a clear explanation. Damien Vossen, our expert in ASO, gives you some pieces of advice about the steps to follow, in order to keep your app relevant and efficient.
Before reflecting or having any improvement recommendations, audit phases are essential, in order to have on overview of the application. There are many kinds of audits, that you have to select according to the interfaces and issues you focus on.
- If your app doesn’t reach its objectives in terms of retention or engagement, it might be necessary to order an audit about user behaviour. Its main objective will be to analyse the way users interact with your app, and what the conclusions are. Notes and comments on stores can also be precious data that you have to take into account.
- If you think that your application has failings in its development, it might be necessary to order a technical audit, in order to completely review the code. This is particularly useful if the user experience has to be improved. Although, in some cases, the architecture of the code can be too old to guarantee the good functioning of some new features.
- It is always interesting to realise a benchmark to realise what the market looks like, but also to compare the services, the user experiences and the features in your competitors’ different apps.
The various steps
In order to have the most complete audit, at Tapptic, our consultants break their thinking process into 3 essential points:
- Identifying the targeted goal and the application’s purpose.
This consists in analysing the strategic reasons that lead to the creation of the application. It is also important to clearly visualise who this application targets. This can, indeed, have an important impact on the included features and the user experience. Performance indicators also have to be clearly established, in order to be able to see the evolution of the app.
- Measuring the results according to the different KPIs.
Different data such as usage statistics and notes on the various stores can be analysed in order to have the best possible overview in terms of client satisfaction. It is also possible to do some user surveys, or even user testings, in order to get all the possible insights.
- Recommending you THE best solution.
According to the gathered data, it becomes easier to get the right recommendations, that could help the most improving the app. Those can take place either on the short or the long run. On the short run, we have all the solutions that “fix” precise issues, or App Store Optimization, in order to improve your mobile apps’ visibility, whether on the App Store or Google Play.
On the long run
On the long run, it is obvious that there are more solutions:
- The organisation of a creative workshop with our teams is ideal when you have an idea, or an issue that you’d like to delve more deeply, in order to see all the opportunities it offers.
- A/B testing usually happens after an audit. After having identified the weaknesses of your app, it helps testing many precise solutions, and measuring the consequences it has on the users, and finally selecting the most efficient solution.
- If the technical audit revealed serious failings in the architecture of your app, a complete redesign of your application might be necessary. Our teams remain thus at your disposal in order to study with you the best development opportunities, making your app the best it can be.
- New screens are also conceivable, to simplify your app’s architecture and improve the overall user experience.
- Finally, a strategic watch is essential, in order to remain in track with the latest tendencies in user experience.
Whichever your needs might be, our consulting teams at Tapptic remain available, to support and help you all along this improvement process.